Friday, July 4, 2014

Our Job is to Find Stupid and Get Rid of It

This week I have been on vacation, including a trip to Kansas City to see relatives and a visit to the Grand Canyon. So, I don’t have much time for updating this blog. My work on the 5th edition of Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology has slowed to a crawl, and I need to get back to it next week.

This week I will simply suggest you watch and listen to the inspiring Boston University 2014 commencement address by my friend Kevin Kit Parker.


My favorite quote from the address is the title of this blog entry. Parker is with the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Academically speaking, he and I are brothers; we share a common PhD advisor, John Wikswo of Vanderbilt University. Parker obtained his PhD about ten years after I received mine, and I met him when I was on the faculty at Vanderbilt for a few years in the late 1990s.

Parker is known both for his science, and for being a scientist/soldier. You can learn more about his experiences in an interview that aired on the TV show 60 Minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's a lab. We need more of this, exactly this.

    ReplyDelete